About the Association
Membership of “The Runcie Family Name Association” is open to all those interested in the Runcie name either from a family name or genealogical point of view. Our email address is email@example.com.
The Association came into being in 1997 when John W. Runcie of Craiglug Ferryhill, Aberdeen, Scotland decided that it was about time we had some way to bring together all people throughout the world with the name Runcie or with an interest in the name.
This website will enable members to contact each other with items of interest or as an aid with family history. It will also allow a record to be kept of the history and the lineage of the Runcie family and also to disseminate this and any other information or items of interest to our members. He contacted the Archbishop of Canterbury who readily agreed to become our Founding Chairman.
Armorial Bearings or Badge
There is an English Coat of Arms attributed to the name Runcie, with the motto “By Sea” with the crest being ‘a Seahorse erect Or, holding in the fore fins a thistle leaved’. A copy of the arms shown in Burke’s armorial bearings can be found on our homepage. Ultimately the Association would like to devise an Association Heraldic Coat of Arms of their own. This would be registered in Scotland, and would belong to the members and could be used freely by members worldwide.
Motto of the Association
“prospice ut videre posteritam” meaning “Look to the past to see the future”
The Runcie name was without a clan for many years, However we have now been recognised as a “sept” of the Buchan Clan. The Buchan site contains large number of sites which could help with family history research. The names Runcie and its derivative Runcy are accepted as “septs”. For more details on the Buchan Clan click here.
Runcies in Banffshire Scotland
The Old Church in Cullen is one of the oldest churches in Banff and records show that there was a church there in 1236. King Robert the Bruce established a chapelry to pray for the soul of his wife who died in Cullen.
The following is information about the Runcie graves in the churchyard.
This stone is erected by George Gardiner Merchant Banff in memory of his father William Gardiner carpenter Cullen who departed this life April 1848 also in memory of his mother Jannet Runcie who was committed to the dust in June of above year. (Plot 68)
This stone is here in memory of Thomas Coull and his wife Margaret Runcie 28 May l740 (Plot 90)
As a tribute of affection and gratitude this stone is erected by Elspet Runcie in memory of her late worthy husband John Runcie in Seatown of Cullen who died 23April 1818 aged 67 years also in memory of her son who died 3 September 1817 aged 37 years and is interred on his estate Doorensvieede in the colony of Demerari; and in memory of Elspet Runcie who died in November 1835 aged 81years. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. (Plot 164)
Here lye interred the body of William Runcie Seamen in the Seatown of Cullen and of Margaret Woods his spouse. She died August l0th 1771 aged 72 years. He was born May 30th 1702; died August 28th 1779. He was eminent for his piety, prudence, good sense and good conduct, highly respected while he live and justly regretted when he died. (Plot 106)
Sacred to the memory of John Runcie, Seamen of Cullen who died 13th April 1833 aged 69years. Erected by Margaret Findlay his wife. (Plot 107)
Sacred to the memory of George Runcie who departed this life 20th July 1821 aged 71years; also Margaret Philip his spouse who died the 16th May 1831 aged 83years. (Plot 109)
The following paragraphs are taken from the Annals of Cullen (the church records)
Churches in those days meted out punishments for crimes in the community.
In November 1645 we have Wm Runsie beadsman died (a beadsman was poor man housed by the community)
In 1664 Margaret Duffe gave in ane bill of complaint against Isobel Thain for calling her drunken jade, filthie queen,and loussie hussy; also ion Runsie skipper against Janet Pirrie for calling him the ife, and his wife witch. Janet Pirie and Helen Runsie ordained to stand in thesaccloathe and in the joges. Janet called Helen excommunicat witch that she had the devil on a chaine and could louse him when she pleased, and that all her kin dyed in the devils arms. Helen cursed Janet wishing her the falling evil and to be drouned as some of her kin were, and called her a harlot.
CHURCH ANNALS OF CULLEN by W. G. ROBERTSON - ANNALS OF CULLEN CRAMOND